Vege-pa is one of only a few restaurants in the city center that we have discovered which lets vegetables take center stage and offers wholesome dishes which accompany these healthy treats so well.
Vege-pa is a little eatery in the Tatemachi area. It is around the corner from a small post office and just over a block north from Hondori. It offers great deals on lunch and dinner sets (1,200~2,000 for lunch and 2,000+ for dinner) featuring freshly made pasta dishes, impressive vegetable appetizer plates with salad and homemade bread as well as one of their specialty condiments- herb salt.
I was very impressed with the vegetable terrine appetizer, choc-o-bloc full of a variety of lightly steamed vegetables. It came with a side salad, warm homemade foccacia bread and a drink as well as the main pasta dish. On the day I visited, there was a choice of ham and vegetable “peperoncino” pasta or squid, asari shellfish tomato sauce pasta. They said it would be no problem to have a completely vegetarian set if requested.
This little eatery has a nice atmosphere, the tables and floor are wooden and there are artistic murals on the walls and chandeliers near the windows. There is counter seating as well as at small tables. The staff are pleasant and easy to communicate with in Japanese. They also sell some of their fresh vegetables near the door if you want to take some home with you.
- Hours & Holidays: Lunch: 11:30~ (last order 2:30pm) / Dinner: 17:30~ (last order 10pm) Closed Thursdays
- No English menu or English speaking staff
- No credit cards accepted – cash only
- No parking available or discounts offerred
- Seating available for 13 people, reservations for groups accepted and party plans available
- Address: 730-0032 Hiroshima city, Naka-ku Tatemachi 6-13 “Uesteru Tatemachi” ウエステル立町 building 2nd floor (between the Seattle’s Best Coffee shop and the Tatemachi post office, opposite a large car-park)
- Telephone: 082-249-3865