- This event has passed.
Mantō Mitama Matsurii
May 25, 2019 - May 26, 2019Free
Two days of events and commemorations at Hiroshima’s shrine to the war dead, Gokuku-jinja, which is decorated with lanterns.
Saturday, May 25
- 18:00 Manto-mitama ceremony in the main Shrine Hall
- 19:00 Around 100 women dressed as shrine maidens perform Enmusubi-no-miko-odori dances in the forecourt
- 19:30 Miko-mai dance by full time shrine maidens
- 19:50 Taiko drumming
- 20:10 Piano performance
- 20:30Lantern lit dances by the maidens for the day finale before things finish just before 21:00
For more on the Saturday night festivities, photos and video click here.
Sunday, May 26
- 10:00-15:00 Elementary school aged boys and girls compete in sumo contests in the shrine building.
- 18:00 Manto-mitama ceremony.
- 19:00-21:10 Kagura dance performances.