- This event has passed.
A Summer Evening of Prayer & Peace
August 5, 2019 @ 6:00 pm - 9:00 pmFree
On the night of August 5, the string of temples and shrines in Futaba-no-sato, originally constructed to protect the castle town of Hiroshima from misfortune that was said to come from the inauspicious northeast direction, are illuminated by candles and decorated with flowers to comfort the souls of the victims of the A-bombing and to wish for peace throughout the world.
All are welcome and there is no charge to participate. You can go wander around the shrines and temples by yourself, or you can join a guided tour which will assemble in front of Hiroshima Shinkansen Station at 18:00. Futaba-no-sato volunteer guides will be accompanied by English speaking guides to help with translation.
- 18:00 Japanese green tea and a chilled piece of watermelon service in Shiribuka Park
- 19:00 Flute performance by “Yoshiyuki Kodani with Otomai”in Nigitsu Shrine
- 19:00 Japanese shakuhachi flute performance by Komuso monks in Shokoji Temple
- 19:00 Lighting of candles in Tsuruhane Shrine
- 19:30 Sutra chanted by a chief priest in Kokuzenji Temple
- 19:30 ＆ 20:15 Performance of the brass band by Sakuragaoka high school students in Myojoin Temple
- 20:00 Japanese shakuhachi flute performance in Onaga Tenman-gu Temple
- 20:30 Japanese sho flute performance in Hiroshima Toshou-gu Shrine