- This event has passed.
July 15, 2018
The 2018 event has been cancelled due to damage from extreme rainfall.
This annual swim-run event takes place on the southern shore of in lovely Kurahashi Island, south of Kure. With a short and a long course, as well as races for kids elementary school age and up, it’s a good opportunity for the “multisport curious” to dip their toes into events with an open-water swim component. The organizers do insist on participants wearing a swim wetsuit and are pretty strict about enforcing that requirement – this can be a bit frustrating for experienced swimmers – not to mention a little warm if the rainy season has ended and the sun is blasting.
The longer swims are out and back in usually calm waters – it can get choppy if the weather is a bit dodgy though – and the kids swim parallel to the shore. The runs are also out and back along the coastal road.
Camping isn’t permitted on the beach (as far as we are aware) but free floor space is on offer in a local school gymnasium – take your own bedding and breakfast . There is a local festival the night before complete with fireworks, and adult competitors who show up for the pre-race party which starts after the race briefing on Saturday will be given a ¥1000 food voucher to blow on fried goodies at the festival stalls. Fireworks start a 20:15.
Distances & entry fees
- A Type 2.4km swim 20km run ¥9000 (¥7000 for JTU members) 08:45 start
- B Type 1.2km swim 8km run ¥7000 (¥5000 for JTU members) 10:30 start
- C Type (Junior High School) 0.3km swim 3km run free 11:30 start
- D Type (Elementary School) 0.1km swim 1km run free 12:00 start
- Individual entry forms can be downloaded here [pdf].
- Relay team entry forms can be downloaded here [pdf].
- The race waiver is here [pdf].
Entry deadline: June 20