The main branch of Fukuya Department store stands on the corner of one of Hiroshima city’s main intersections in the heart of the shopping district. The store was originally built in 1938. After the a-bombing, part of the burnt out building served as a temporary isolation hospital. Although the building has undergone extensive renovations (including replacement of the entire facade in 1972), it is one of Hiroshima’s designated “A-bombed buildings”.
As well as the usual designer stores and “depachika” basement food hall, the store also hosts art exhibitions, culinary fairs and has a rooftop event space and summer beer garden. The Hacchoza boutique cinema can also be found in this building.