Located a short walk from the rear exit of Iwakuni train station, Mike’s Tex-Mex serves great burritos, tacos, enchiladas, taco salads and more with freshly homemade ingredients. Whenever we are in Yamaguchi we try to organize our route in a way to pass by for lunch or dinner. Mike’s has a great English menu and all their staff speak English well. The salsa, guacamole, tortilla chips and refried beans are made fresh and you notice it in the taste.
There is ample seating in the new, larger location but if you have a larger group, reservations are recommended- especially on busy Fridays, Saturday or weekend nights. Despite having to pay more due to the strong yen, this place remains popular with the American military from the base nearby which is testament to the food’s authenticity. Mike is also a really friendly guy and you will find him chatting with customers as they leave no matter how busy he is running the kitchen solo.
We have tried almost all of the items on the menu, favorites are the burrito served with melted cheese and a smoky, chipotle hot sauce adding a great flavor. My favorite is to have the burrito with a crispy taco filled with fresh salad, sour cream, salsa and add guacamole for a bit more.
The kids menu offers small portions of tex-mex without the spiciness, our kids love the cheese quesadilla and cheesy nachos in the small portion. There are also a range of non-alcoholic, virgin margheritas available which kids love.
- Seating for 40-50
- kid-friendly (kids menu, high chairs and kids drawings up on the wall)
- party menu available
- all non-smoking inside (there is a smoker’s bench set up outside)
- parking available in front of the restaurant
- on foot: follow the tunnel under Iwakuni station and head right pass the convention center to the next light. You will see Mike’s on the right before the bridge.
- Mike’s on Facebook
- Mike’s Iwakuni official website [japanese]